I’m a software designer, writer, musician, and lover of simple websites.
Some things about me
- Grew up in rural Pennsylvania, and have lived in Chicago, NYC, and LA.
- Went to boarding school
- Write a popular newsletter called Better by Design, focused on helping creative professionals elevate their work and lives through design thinking and intentional growth. I wrote over 70 articles and 100,000 words last year.
- Write and perform music for the love of it
- Enjoy endurance athletics
A few things I’ve written
- My pathless path into technology, design, and beyond How a liberal arts kid becomes a brand strategist, an engineer, a designer, and whatever's next
- The creative cold start problem Problems of starting and how you might unblock them
- The enduring power of the MAYA rule Finding balance in the endless quest for breakthrough design
- The timeless allure of the Porsche 911 Uncovering the key elements that define the sports car's iconic design
- How to flex the soft power of design Making an impact when org structures aren’t in your favor
- How I use Figma to craft better presentations Guidelines for showcasing your strength as a visual storyteller
My hybrid career in six bullets
- Studied political philosophy at Davidson College
- Started my career as a brand strategist at the historic creative agency, Leo Burnett
- After 2 years, I pivoted and learned to code
- Joined an excellent team at American Express as a UI engineer
- After 3 years, I pivoted again into design
- Worked as a designer at a series of successful cybersecurity startups: Tenable (IPO), Signal Sciences (acquired by Fastly), JupiterOne (series C, current)
Los Angeles, CA