My career as…
- I studied political philosophy at Davidson College.
- I started my career as a brand strategist at the historic creative agency, Leo Burnett.
- After 2 years, I pivoted and learned to code.
- I joined an excellent team at American Express as a UI engineer.
- After 3 years, I pivoted again into design.
- I worked as a product designer at a series of successful cybersecurity startups: Tenable (IPO), Signal Sciences (acquired by Fastly), JupiterOne (series C).
- My pathless path into technology, design, and beyond How a liberal arts kid becomes a brand strategist, an engineer, a designer, and whatever's next.
- Linkedin → https://www.linkedin.com/in/itspatmorgan/
JupiterOne – Principal Product Designer
- A graph-based cyber security data insights platform
- I joined as the first IC product designer and did a bit of everything. We’re talking thousands of design screens, major features, strategy presentations, design systems, prototyping, etc… At one point I supported an eng org of 40+ by myself.
Signal Sciences (Fastly) – Senior Product Designer
- A next-gen, intelligent web application firewall (WAF).
- I led the design of the core WAF rules configuration platform. Acquired by Fastly in 2020.
Tenable – Product Designer
- Vulnerability management and cyber security.
- I focused on dashboards and reports, building best-in-class data visualization tools for gauging cyber security risk.
Vroozi – UI Developer → Product Designer
- Digital procurement solutions.
- I started as a UI dev but since we had no full-time designers I did that too, eventually switching roles and starting my official design career.
American Express – UI Developer
- Enterprise growth & new business focused on developing pre-paid debit card platforms.
- I worked as a front-end dev embedded on a product design team. I did a lot of prototyping as part of the design process and delivered the UI code for production.
Leo Burnett – Junior Strategist
- Big, old-school ad agency. I supported campaigns for brands like Esurance, MillerCoors, and Sprint.
- I learned a lot about brand and communication strategy, but also learned advertising wasn't for me. I left to go through one of General Assembly's first Web Development Immersive programs.
Web Development Immersive at General Assembly, NYC
BA of Political Science at Davidson College
Product Design | UI Design | UX Design | Design Systems | Interaction Design | Prototyping | Design Operations | UX Research | Service design | Product Strategy | Writing
Figma | Notion | Github | Jira | Confluence | Sketch